St Ives Town Ladies chief proud of a fine debut season
- Credit: Archant
Manager Darren Marjoram has declared himself ‘extremely proud’ of his St Ives Town Ladies players after they came within a point of title glory in their debut season.
The Saints were pipped to the Cambs Women’s & Girls League Championship South title by established side Park Ladies by the narrowest of margins.
The race for the crown went down to the final round of fixtures last Sunday when Saints, who were awarded a walkover against bottom side Cambridge Rangers, were reliant on their rivals dropping points.
And even though that didn’t happen, Marjoram was still delighted with the way the campaign unfolded.
He said: “I’m extremely proud of all the players’ efforts over the whole season. To finish one point behind the title-winners in our first season is a great achievement.
You may also want to watch:
“We also possess the best defensive record in the league and only conceded three times in home games all season.
“We are continuing to train for a few weeks before having a short summer break, but we’re already looking forward to next season.”
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 5 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
St Ives won 14 of their 18 league fixtures and lost just two.
Georgia Rebane was their top-scorer with 13 goals while skipper Sasha Smith also made it into double-figures with 11.