St Ives Town swoop for hugely experienced and successful Football League striker
- Credit: PA
St Ives Town have bolstered their ranks with the signing of experienced striker Marc Richards.
The 38-year-old scored three in seven last season for National League Yeovil Town after joining from Cambridge United and in total has racked up over 600 appearances in the Football League with the likes of Port Vale, Northampton Town and Barnsley.
Speaking on the club website manager Ricky Marheineke said: “As soon as I knew Marc may be an option it was a no brainer to do everything we could to make it happen. It’s a fantastic signing.
“He is not only going to lead by example in the way he plays but his experience and leadership will be a massive boost for the squad.
“Marc turned down more lucrative offers from teams in our league and above to join us in our quest for success and it’s great that he has bought into our vision and what we are trying to achieve.”
You may also want to watch:
He wasn’t in either of the two St Ives teams that picked up victories in their latest pre-season games on Saturday.
Westwood Road saw two fine goals dispatch a young Northampton Town side 2-0 while a late comeback by a development team at St Neots Town brought a 3-2 success.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 8 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 9 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages