Delight for St Ives Town as work on new state of the art pitch is set to start
- Credit: ST IVES TOWN FC
Their season may just have been "curtailed" but St Ives Town still have something to celebrate.
Work on a new "state of the art" artificial pitch at Westwood Road is scheduled to begin on March 22 and is expected to last 10 weeks.
It will see a surface laid that the club hope will benefit not just themselves but the whole of the St Ives community as well.
Chairman Gary Clarke said: "We are delighted to announce that contracts have been signed for the installation of a state of the art 3G pitch at Westwood Road, suitable for elite football and certified to FIFA Quality Pro accreditations.
""This exciting scheme will contribute significantly to the development of sport and community activity in St Ives by facilitating a range of year-round activities unaffected by the weather.
"The first-class playing surface will help to grow and develop grassroots football and improve the health and physical activity of residents in the town and surrounding villages.
"We are grateful to have had the full support of Huntingdonshire FA and Huntingdon District Council."
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 4 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 5 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 6 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
The project, which meets various sporting code regulations, has been self-funded and helped by a grant for new LED floodlights, pitch perimeter fencing and equipment from the Football Stadium Improvement Fund and support from Mick George Ltd.