St Ives Town face a Surrey shoot-out in the play-off semi-finals after being handed Tuesday trip to Egham

Danny Watson struck twice for St Ives in their 6-1 win at North Greenford. Picture: LOUISE THOMPSON

Danny Watson struck twice for St Ives in their 6-1 win at North Greenford. Picture: LOUISE THOMPSON - Credit: Archant

St Ives Town’s promotion mission will take them to Surrey for a winner-takes-all semi-final showdown.

Saints clinched a fourth-placed finish in Southern League Division One (Central) with a 6-1 romp at rock-bottom North Greenford in their final match of the regular season today.

It means Ricky Marheineke’s side will travel to Egham on Tuesday for a semi clash with the winners advancing to the play-off final on Bank Holiday Monday, May 2.

St Ives have already sampled success at Egham during this terrific season. They triumphed 1-0 there back in August, but the Surrey side triumphed at ProEdge Westwood Road by the same scoreline.

Marheineke said: “It is going to be a tough game, but I wouldn’t expect anything else in a play-off semi-final.

“Egham have beaten Royston and AFC Rushden & Diamonds at their place in recent weeks so they’re clearly in a bit of form.

“It’s a winner-takes-all situation and we need to make sure we do enough to reach the final.

Most Read

“Our form on the road has been very good throughout the season so being away doesn’t hold any fears for us.

“It also looks like Egham had a tougher game today than we did and that may well have taken more out of them.”

Third-placed Egham finished five points clear of Saints in the standings.

They were involved in a final day clash at second-placed Royston in which both teams kicked off hoping to be crowned champions.

Both sides went into the contest two points behind leaders Kings Langley, but battled out a 1-1 draw.

Kings Langley clinched the title – and a third consecutive promotion – with a 2-0 victory at Petersfield.

Saints brought the curtain down on the regular season with an avalanche of goals at North Greenford.

Danny Watson and Ben Seymour-Shove put them in control in the opening period before Watson effectively sealed victory two minutes into the second half.

The relegated hosts replied on the hour but Saints doubled their own goal tally during a late flurry.

Stuart Eason marked his return from a dual-registration spell at Spalding United in goalscoring style before Harry O’Malley and Declan Rogers got in on the act.

Marheineke added: “The lads were outstanding from start to finish, and it was an enjoyable way to end the season.

“We stuck to the task, we kept our standards high and we were rewarded with some very good goals.

“That won’t do our confidence any harm ahead of the play-offs.”