FOOTBALL: St Ives Town and Huntingdon Town survive as the non-league season declared null and void
- Credit: Archant
The Football Association has ruled that the 2019/20 season is officially over for our non-league and grassroots teams.
The current campaign has been declared null and void – with all results expunged – from Step 3 to Step 6 of the non-league game and also for Step 7 and below at local level.
It means that no promotion or relegation will happen with St Ives Town surviving in the Southern League Premier Division Central and Huntingdon Town avoiding the drop from United Counties League Division One.
The decision from the FA and National Leagues System was announced in a statement this afternoon (Thursday) which confirms: “The FA and the NLS (Step 3 to Step 6) have reached a consensus that their 2019/20 season will now be brought to an end and all results will be expunged.
“This will mean no promotion or relegation of clubs between NLS Step 3 and Step 6, and no promotion to NLS Step 2.
“These decisions will also apply to the leagues and clubs who play at NLS Step 7.”
A major restructure of the non-league game, which has been due to implemented this summer, will now be delayed until after the 2020/21 season.
- 1 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 4 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
- 5 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 6 Charming 'cakery' selling sweet treats opens in Ramsey
- 7 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Huntingdonshire History Festival returns this summer
- 10 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
And the FA have also ruled that all grassroots football has been terminated for the current campaign as well - although those competitions won’t necessarily be declared null and void.
Their statement added: “Furthermore, we can now confirm that we have decided that all grassroots football is concluded for the 2019/20 season.
“This will allow the game to move forward and to commence planning for next season.
“Our county football associations (CFAs) will be supporting grassroots leagues over the coming days to determine how they should close out their current competitions.”
All women’s football from Tier 3 to Tier 7 has also been brought to an immediate end with results expunged.