St Ives Swimmers enjoy success at Fenland Open
ST IVES Swimming Club s young swimmers produced another excellent performance for the club at 13th Fenland Open Meet in Whittlesey. The club fielded a team comprising young swimmers with competitive experience and a number of first-timers, to face swimmer
ST IVES Swimming Club's young swimmers produced another excellent performance for the club at 13th Fenland Open Meet in Whittlesey.
The club fielded a team comprising young swimmers with competitive experience and a number of first-timers, to face swimmers from 17 clubs across Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Essex, Kent, Suffolk and Lincolnshire.
By the end of the competition, they had posted an amazing 53 personal best times and 26 top-six finishes between them.
Head coach Andy Hunter was proud of his team's performance.
"Across the board, our younger swimmers swam magnificently. For a good few of the young swimmers, this was their first competition and their determination and dedication paid off, as they performed superbly against more seasoned competition.
Star performers for St Ives were Daniel Yarney, who won the award for top 10-year-old boy and Ellie Roberts, who won the top 11-year-old girl category.
- 1 Outdoor inflatable water park returns to Huntingdonshire
- 2 Opposition group to fight plans for new homes in their village
- 3 Jail for man who boasted he was the St Ives 'weed man'
- 4 Woman has 'medical episode' during A1(M) crash
- 5 13-year-old helped to rescue distressed paddleboarders
- 6 Man fined £300 after being linked to fly-tipping
- 7 Fenland man repeatedly raped woman for 20 years
- 8 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 9 Thousands come together at RAF Wyton for Armed Forces Day
- 10 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
"They really showed their quality by taking those top spots," said Hunter.
Yarney set four personal bests, winning the 50m freestyle, 50m backstroke and the 50m butterfly, where he set a new club record for 10-year-olds of 37.93sec. He also was third in the 50m breastroke.
Roberts set three personal best times - in the 50m breastroke, which she won, and 50m butterfly and 50m backstroke, both of which she came second. She also came second in the 50m freestyle.
Other top performers were Luke Watson, who clocked four PBs, Giovanni Di Siena and Ellie Watson with three PBs each, and Caitlin Roberts, Oliver White, Molly White, Ellie Rogers, who each secured two PB times.
Other swimmers who recorded personal bests were Sebastian Di Siena, Annabel McKenzie, Caroline McKenzie, Katie Hughes, Alex Crocker, Grace Frear, Jasmine Asplin, Jasmine Buck, Alice Kerr, Ella Hartley, Matthew Hick Samuel Cox, and Michael Lardner, while Andrew Moss picked up four sixth places.