St Ives stars master the competition
- Credit: Archant
Cathy Thomson completed a golden double as St Ives Swimming Club proved they are the masters of the water at the weekend.
A team of 11 swimmers claimed 18 medals between them at the Norfolk County Masters Championships at the University of East Anglia in Norwich – six of them gold.
Thomson struck gold in the women’s 50m freestyle and butterfly races. She is now fourth in the British rankings in the 25-29yrs age group in the freestyle event.
Hannah Sargent’s triumphant 50m backstroke swim lifted her to third in the British rankings for the 25-29yrs bracket. Those two ladies were joined by Schuyler Newstead and Ellie Roberts in successful 4-25m freestyle and individual medley relay teams.
There were two relay silver medals for the men. Clive Tuke, Stevo Greenwood and Ted Farrier were joined by Will Desborough for the medley and Andy Bennett for the freestyle. Greenwood, Desborough, Roberts and Thomson also featured in a mixed freestyle relay team that won silver while Desborough, Thomson, Vicky Grantham and Peter Brystow did likewise in the mixed medley event.
You may also want to watch:
Greenwood, Bennett, Farrier, Desborough and Brystow also won individual medals.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester