St Ives star Ollie Fitt in fabulous form as he warmed up for Olympic trials
- Credit: Archant
St Ives sensation Ollie Fitt continued his preparations for the British Olympics Trials in stunning style.
Fitt, pictured, was part of an 11-strong contingent from St Ives Swimming Club to compete in the prestigious City of Norwich Level One Meet over Easter.
And the 16 year-old delivered a magnificent display to win the 100m backstroke against older opposition. He was the only swimmer to clock a sub-60 time in the process.
Fitt also won the 50m backstroke, collected silver medals in the 200m individual medley and 200m backstroke, and grabbed bronze in the 50m freestyle.
There was also a memorable hat-trick for rising star James Quinn in Norfolk.
The 12 year-old talent swept the board in his breaststroke races, taking gold over the 50m, 100m and 200m distances.
Fellow juniors Emma Fitt, Georgia Spencer, Sophie Turner, Alice Turner, Bethan Endicott, Matthew Hall, Fran Crocker and Pete Todd all produced lifetime best swims to climb the national rankings in their respective events.
- 1 Police searching for missing man discover body
- 2 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 Two-day closure set for B661 between Great Staughton and Grafham Water
- 5 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 6 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 7 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 8 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 9 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
- 10 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
Senior swimmer Cathy Thomson also shone as she made finals in the 100m breaststroke and 50m backstroke.
St Ives head coach Andy Hunter said: “It was terrific to see Ollie perform so well in his final event before the trials, and it was a superb event for everyone connected to the club.
“The season has started exceptionally well with an excellent Cambridgeshire County Championships providing the foundations for a host of other impressive competitions with all swimmers rising to the challenge and exceeding their own expectations.”
The British Olympic Trials are being staged in Glasgow from April 12 to 17. St Ives’ freestyle flyer Andy Weatheritt will also compete.