St Ives prospect Bradley Smith up for the ‘Challenge’ of title fight
- Credit: Archant
Rising star Bradley Smith is aiming to capture title glory in just his fifth fight as a professional boxer.
The unbeaten 19 year-old St Ives prospect has been handed a shot at the vacant International Challenge lightweight belt on September 24.
He will face a still-to-be-finalised opponent in an eight-round showdown at the York Hall in London – the scene of all four of his successes in the paid ranks to date.
Smith said: “It’s exciting to think that I could win a belt next month and I’m really up for it.
“Training has been going brilliantly at the Limehouse Marina Gym in London and I can’t wait to step up to eight rounds for the first time.
You may also want to watch:
“It is my biggest fight to date and one that I have to win as it could provide a stepping stone to better things in the future.
“My team have mapped out a plan for me which will hopefully involve fighting for the Southern Area title next summer.
- 1 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
“But first and foremost it is all about focusing on September 24 and making sure I beat whoever I come up against.
“It could be a Brit or a foreign fighter, so I’ve got to be prepared for everything.”
Smith is promoted by Steve Goodwin, and trained by Barry Smith and Harry Andrews – the two men who also look after St Neots star Tommy Martin.
Smith is sponsored by underwear brand Jacksy and local firms Coverspan, MR Smith Brickwork, FloTek Plumbing & Heating Services and DA Green and Sons.
Tickets for Smith’s title fight are available for £35 by calling him on 07801 996990.