St Ives produce the goods to beat Letchworth
St Ives 3-2 LetchworthST IVES hosted a strong Letchworth team who were promoted last season. The game started well for the hosts, putting the visitors under pressure from the off, but neither team created clear chances. The deadlock was finally broken wh
St Ives 3-2 Letchworth
ST IVES hosted a strong Letchworth team who were promoted last season.
The game started well for the hosts, putting the visitors under pressure from the off, but neither team created clear chances.
The deadlock was finally broken when smart St Ives interplay left Derrick Pope to round the keeper.
Letchworth snapped into action and Dave Land and man-of-the-match Mark Clinton had to be at their best to prevent the equaliser.
They did restore parity shortly after half-time, when a short corner was flicked into the roof of the Ives net.
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 4 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 5 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 6 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 7 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 8 Buckfest named as Cambridgeshire's best festival
- 9 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 10 Will Young talks about handcuffing himself to the Camp Beagle gates
From that moment on though, Ives dictated the game and camped in the Letchworth half. After a succession of shots, Allan Knox flicked in from a tight angle. Ives kept the tempo high and it was not long before Pope completed his brace.
Letchworth grabbed a goal back at the close but St Ives claimed the points.
St Ives travel to Norwich next week for the league opener.