St Ives man Jason Heard leading the BMX pack months after starting racing
- Credit: Archant
A 39-year-old St Ives man is leading a BMX racing series just months after picking up the sport.
Jason Heard, pictured, a plumber, took up the sport in January after attending an event with his family and now rides at least once a week at the Royston BMX Racing Club.
Since joining the club, Heard has fallen in love with the sport and is top of the club’s Cruiser Summer Series table with 106 points from his first two races.
Fellow Royston club member Claire Pollard follows with 92 points and Braintree’s Carolyn Pantlin is in third with five races to go.
“It’s the thrill of it all,” he said. “It’s fun but it’s also full of elements of danger.”
He hopes his sons, Sammy, two, and Milo, three, can attend one of his races by the end of the season. Sammy even rides his own BMX.
Heard said BMX racing was a positive family-friendly sport that anyone can get involved with.
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 3 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 4 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 5 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Life sentence confirmed for Rikki Neave murderer
- 9 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 10 Beagle puppies freed at MBR Acres after second day of action
Members can join the club at any age and classes and races are put on for riders aged seven upwards.
The club has been in existence for more than 30 years and its track was recently refurbished and reopened last July.
Heard competes in the club’s Race Series and rides on club nights which alternate every Tuesday.
INFORMATION: For more about BMX racing, visit www.roystonrockets.co.uk or call Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club on 01763 260959.