St Ives man Jason Heard leading the BMX pack months after starting racing
- Credit: Archant
A 39-year-old St Ives man is leading a BMX racing series just months after picking up the sport.
Jason Heard, pictured, a plumber, took up the sport in January after attending an event with his family and now rides at least once a week at the Royston BMX Racing Club.
Since joining the club, Heard has fallen in love with the sport and is top of the club’s Cruiser Summer Series table with 106 points from his first two races.
Fellow Royston club member Claire Pollard follows with 92 points and Braintree’s Carolyn Pantlin is in third with five races to go.
“It’s the thrill of it all,” he said. “It’s fun but it’s also full of elements of danger.”
You may also want to watch:
He hopes his sons, Sammy, two, and Milo, three, can attend one of his races by the end of the season. Sammy even rides his own BMX.
Heard said BMX racing was a positive family-friendly sport that anyone can get involved with.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 4 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 5 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 6 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 7 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 8 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 9 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
Members can join the club at any age and classes and races are put on for riders aged seven upwards.
The club has been in existence for more than 30 years and its track was recently refurbished and reopened last July.
Heard competes in the club’s Race Series and rides on club nights which alternate every Tuesday.
INFORMATION: For more about BMX racing, visit www.roystonrockets.co.uk or call Royston Rockets BMX Racing Club on 01763 260959.