St Ives fighter Karl Wheeler captures title glory - and gives his trainer an early birthday present in the process
- Credit: Pic by David Lowndes
St Ives Boxing Academy ace Karl Wheeler floored an unbeaten rival to land the British Challenge title last night.
The Peterborough-based cruiserweight pummelled Biola Kudus with a flurry of fierce body shots to earn the second-round stoppage at the York Hall in London.
It was an 11th victory in an 18-fight professional career for Wheeler either side of an eight-year retirement - and it earned a first title success for the gym run by trainer Steve Whitwell locally.
Whitwell said: “Kudus and his camp tried to wind Karl up in advance and intimidate him in the ring before the fight, but it didn’t work.
“Beating him is no more than I expected from Karl and hopefully we can get another fight into him in May time before challenging for the Southern Area title in the autumn.
“Karl was my first boxer when I got my pro licence and it is great for him to be our first man to win a belt.
“He is a good friend as well as a good fighter.”
- 1 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Recap: Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 4 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 5 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 6 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 7 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 8 Huge Victorian house with pool and gym on sale for £1.75m
- 9 First episode of tractor TV show features farmer in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Wheeler’s success also provided an early present for Whitwell the night before he celebrates his 47th birthday today.
Full story in the Hunts Post on Wednesday.