St Ives fighter Karl Wheeler captures title glory - and gives his trainer an early birthday present in the process
- Credit: Pic by David Lowndes
St Ives Boxing Academy ace Karl Wheeler floored an unbeaten rival to land the British Challenge title last night.
The Peterborough-based cruiserweight pummelled Biola Kudus with a flurry of fierce body shots to earn the second-round stoppage at the York Hall in London.
It was an 11th victory in an 18-fight professional career for Wheeler either side of an eight-year retirement - and it earned a first title success for the gym run by trainer Steve Whitwell locally.
Whitwell said: “Kudus and his camp tried to wind Karl up in advance and intimidate him in the ring before the fight, but it didn’t work.
“Beating him is no more than I expected from Karl and hopefully we can get another fight into him in May time before challenging for the Southern Area title in the autumn.
You may also want to watch:
“Karl was my first boxer when I got my pro licence and it is great for him to be our first man to win a belt.
“He is a good friend as well as a good fighter.”
- 1 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 4 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 5 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 6 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 7 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 8 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 9 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
Wheeler’s success also provided an early present for Whitwell the night before he celebrates his 47th birthday today.
Full story in the Hunts Post on Wednesday.