St Ives back among the goals to make FA Trophy progress
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town manager Ricky Marheineke praised his players in the wake of an FA Trophy triumph yesterday.
The Saints powered to a 4-2 success over Rugby in a preliminary tie at ProEdge Westwood Road.
Jack Higgs and Stuart Eason struck twice in the space of four minutes to fire them ahead after they had fallen behind.
Danny Watson added a third goal early in the second half before Charlie De’Ath hit a clincher just after the hour. Rugby hit a late consolation.
Marheineke said: “It was a good performance and one we needed after going out the FA Cup the previous weekend and then being held to a goalless draw in the league in midweek.
You may also want to watch:
“We wanted to pose a bigger threat going forward and we did that by going back to the 4-4-2 formation with which we felt we had played our best attacking football.
“I thought we were very good in and out of possession with the lads showing a great deal of discipline.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
“My only disappointment was seeing a couple of early chances go begging and I started to think the worst when Rugby punished us at the other end.
“But credit to the lads for getting the job done and earning us another lucrative tie against Kettering in the next round which will either be on a Friday night or Sunday again.”