St Ives back among the goals to make FA Trophy progress
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town manager Ricky Marheineke praised his players in the wake of an FA Trophy triumph yesterday.
The Saints powered to a 4-2 success over Rugby in a preliminary tie at ProEdge Westwood Road.
Jack Higgs and Stuart Eason struck twice in the space of four minutes to fire them ahead after they had fallen behind.
Danny Watson added a third goal early in the second half before Charlie De’Ath hit a clincher just after the hour. Rugby hit a late consolation.
Marheineke said: “It was a good performance and one we needed after going out the FA Cup the previous weekend and then being held to a goalless draw in the league in midweek.
“We wanted to pose a bigger threat going forward and we did that by going back to the 4-4-2 formation with which we felt we had played our best attacking football.
“I thought we were very good in and out of possession with the lads showing a great deal of discipline.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 5 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 6 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 7 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 8 Silent protest at Camp Beagle as vans leave the site
- 9 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 10 Newly elected mayor and deputy mayor of St Neots announced
“My only disappointment was seeing a couple of early chances go begging and I started to think the worst when Rugby punished us at the other end.
“But credit to the lads for getting the job done and earning us another lucrative tie against Kettering in the next round which will either be on a Friday night or Sunday again.”