ROWING: Connor produces a ‘Strong’ performance with debut senior success
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Rowing Club star Connor Strong enjoyed a memorable first outing at senior level.
Strong powered to victory in his heat and the final of the Band 3 single sculls at the Peterborough Regatta last weekend,
He completed the 1000m course at Thorpe Meadows in three minutes and 50 seconds in the showpiece race.
Matt Allen produced a good performance to finish second in the Junior 15 single sculls while David Welch looked on course to claim that position in the final of the Band 2 single sculls until his blade got tangled in some underwater weeds.
The club's Masters quad - made up of Gary Gilbey, Tony Bennett, Pip Woodford and Paul Ashmore - just missed out on reaching the final of their event when clocking the third fastest time.
You may also want to watch:
That was no mean feat considering they were up against opposition around 30 years younger!
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 9 Visiting restrictions at Hinchingbrooke Hospital partially lifted
- 10 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess