SQUASH: Host of home winners as Hunts County stage annual Cambridgeshire tournament
- Credit: Archant
Hunts County Squash Club provided the stage and a host of winners at the annual Cambridgeshire County Closed Championships recently.
Eighty players took to the Hemingford Grey courts to battle for honours in 10 categories – and home talents excelled.
Five of the winners - Rupert Thrackeray (Under 9), Ruby Halls (Under 11 Girls), Diego Pita (Under 11 Mixed), Lillie Harnett (Under 13 Girls) and Darcie Mounter (Under 17 Girls) – are all connected to the Hunts County club.
They also provided four runners-up as well . . . Kuba Kania (Under 9), Emily Thackeray (Under 13 Girls), Casey Miller (Under 17 Girls) and Mounter (Under 19 Girls).
Hunts County Squash club head coach, and Cambridgeshire lead coach, Colin Griggs said: “It was fantastic to see the club so well represented in the championships.
“A total of 15 players who attend either group or individual training sessions with us won titles or finished as runners-up.
“Not only did we have many players competing in finals, but we had juniors taking part in the championships for the first time which is an important stepping stone for their improvement and shows good signs for the future.”
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 3 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 4 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 5 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
Other winners were Mumin Belin (Under 13 Mixed), Malik Belin (Under 15 & 17 Mixed), Scott Drewery (Under 19 Mixed) and Casey Miller (Under 19 Girls)