Squad’s golden moment
HUNTINGDON Gymnastics Club rounded off a successful season by winning the Men s British Team Championships in Cardiff at the weekend. Completing over 30 exercises on the six Olympic apparatuses, the six-man squad of Adam and Luke Folwell, Richard Martin,
HUNTINGDON Gymnastics Club rounded off a successful season by winning the Men's British Team Championships in Cardiff at the weekend.
Completing over 30 exercises on the six Olympic apparatuses, the six-man squad of Adam and Luke Folwell, Richard Martin, Louis Smith, Ahmahd Thomas and Robert Payne scored a team total of 326.45 to take gold.
In a close competition, The City of Leeds team came second with 324.3 and Hickley took third with 323.6.
Head Coach Paul Hall said of his team's achievement:
'This has been a personal target of mine for 15 years and these boys have worked so hard to make the dream a reality.
"We have entered a team for the past seven years and never won. This result is the
- 1 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 2 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
culmination of many years of preparation by a dedicated group of individuals."
Looking to the future, Hall added: "It is especially rewarding to see a team success follow the Commonwealth and European results from Louis Smith and Luke Folwell, and will hopefully inspire everyone to chase the Olympic dream for 2012."
The Huntingdon Club will now be added to the prestigious Adam Shield, which has over 100 years of results already engraved upon it.
Team Captain Richard Martin was awarded the prestigious John Elgy Trophy at the Championships for his commitment to the sport and unshakeable determination to succeed.