Squad’s golden moment
HUNTINGDON Gymnastics Club rounded off a successful season by winning the Men s British Team Championships in Cardiff at the weekend. Completing over 30 exercises on the six Olympic apparatuses, the six-man squad of Adam and Luke Folwell, Richard Martin,
HUNTINGDON Gymnastics Club rounded off a successful season by winning the Men's British Team Championships in Cardiff at the weekend.
Completing over 30 exercises on the six Olympic apparatuses, the six-man squad of Adam and Luke Folwell, Richard Martin, Louis Smith, Ahmahd Thomas and Robert Payne scored a team total of 326.45 to take gold.
In a close competition, The City of Leeds team came second with 324.3 and Hickley took third with 323.6.
Head Coach Paul Hall said of his team's achievement:
You may also want to watch:
'This has been a personal target of mine for 15 years and these boys have worked so hard to make the dream a reality.
"We have entered a team for the past seven years and never won. This result is the
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 3 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 4 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 5 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Gym members raise funds for children with cancer
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
culmination of many years of preparation by a dedicated group of individuals."
Looking to the future, Hall added: "It is especially rewarding to see a team success follow the Commonwealth and European results from Louis Smith and Luke Folwell, and will hopefully inspire everyone to chase the Olympic dream for 2012."
The Huntingdon Club will now be added to the prestigious Adam Shield, which has over 100 years of results already engraved upon it.
Team Captain Richard Martin was awarded the prestigious John Elgy Trophy at the Championships for his commitment to the sport and unshakeable determination to succeed.