ATHLETICS: Records tumble as Hunts AC stars shine
- Credit: Archant
The Hunts AC record-books are in need of an urgent update – following a weekend of fine performances.
Lizzy Harrison was responsible for setting new Under 17 Women's indoor, Under 20 Women's indoor and Senior Women indoor standard with a 7.96 performance in the 60m at the London Games.
In the process she became the first female in Hunts AC history to crack the eight-second barrier for that event.
Harrison also lowered her own 200m mark in all three of those age groups with a 26.21 display while Sophie Bambridge bettered a record which had stood for 39 years.
She produced a long jump of 4.94m to register a new Under 17 Women's indoor club best that previously belonged to Tamsin Green at 4.72m.
Her leap also equalled the Under 20 Women's indoor record of 4.94m set by Hayley Jasper in 2002.
Ayo Opaleye added two centimetres to his own Under 17 Men's indoor high jump record with a 1.77m clearance at the same event at Lee Valley, and Moria Howard equalled the club Under 15 Girls indoor 300m best of 46.22.
- 1 Eight Huntingdon children handed anti-social behaviour interventions
- 2 A1 set for night-time and weekend closures until August
- 3 Meet the Sassy Lassies cycling group encouraging women in Huntingdonshire to ride
- 4 Suspected case of bird flu in swan reported to DEFRA
- 5 7 of the most beautiful churches in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Police check home of 101-year-old animal rights patron for stolen beagles
- 7 Site cleared after 'grenade' prompts alarm
- 8 Part of The Busway set for weekend closure with diversions near St Ives
- 9 New homes plan for Huntingdonshire village
- 10 A "determined" Huntingdon man takes on Everest after a double lung transplant
Elsewhere, Joel Thomas cleared 2.60m for a new Under 20 Men's pole vault mark while competing at the Keith Ward Memorial Indoor Meet at King's Lynn.
And Joey Croft continues to impress on the other side of the Atlantic.
He posted a new Senior Men indoor mark for the mile with a 4.14.81 display at the FasTrak Collegiate Invitational event in Houston, Texas.
Croft's time also bettered the club 1,500m record even though his race was over a longer distance.