Joe Mansfield Cup Final Little Paxton United 1 Riverside Rangers 1 (Little Paxton win on penalties after aet) KEEPER Andy Oxborough was the Paxton hero in a nailbiting penalty shoot-out. Riverside dominated early on and could have been three up but Oxbor
Joe Mansfield Cup Final
Little Paxton United 1 Riverside Rangers 1
(Little Paxton win on penalties after aet)
KEEPER Andy Oxborough was the Paxton hero in a nailbiting penalty shoot-out.
You may also want to watch:
Riverside dominated early on and could have been three up but Oxborough denied Carl Foreman and Dean Blackman.
Paxton picked up as the half went on but neither team could convert their chances.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
Paxton started the second half the livelier of the teams, with a good move setting up Luke Swain for the opener.
Rangers immediately increased the tempo and creating numerous chances but found Oxborough in fine form.
However, Rangers were rewarded for their persistence when Kevin Shooter's reckless tackle on Foreman in the area resulted in a penalty.
Foreman slotted the ball into the bottom left corner to even the scores.
Both team pressed forward for the winner but the game ended at 1-1.
Extra-time was an even affair, although Gareth Peck almost won it for Riverside with a header in the last minute, Oxborough diving low to his right to save.
In the shoot-out, Plumb, Storey, Conway and Spenny all scored for Paxton.
Riverside missed their second and Oxborough saved the fourth penalty by Peck to give Little Paxton the trophy.