Joe Mansfield Cup Final Little Paxton United 1 Riverside Rangers 1 (Little Paxton win on penalties after aet) KEEPER Andy Oxborough was the Paxton hero in a nailbiting penalty shoot-out. Riverside dominated early on and could have been three up but Oxbor
Joe Mansfield Cup Final
Little Paxton United 1 Riverside Rangers 1
(Little Paxton win on penalties after aet)
KEEPER Andy Oxborough was the Paxton hero in a nailbiting penalty shoot-out.
Riverside dominated early on and could have been three up but Oxborough denied Carl Foreman and Dean Blackman.
Paxton picked up as the half went on but neither team could convert their chances.
- 1 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 2 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 3 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 4 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 5 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 9 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 10 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
Paxton started the second half the livelier of the teams, with a good move setting up Luke Swain for the opener.
Rangers immediately increased the tempo and creating numerous chances but found Oxborough in fine form.
However, Rangers were rewarded for their persistence when Kevin Shooter's reckless tackle on Foreman in the area resulted in a penalty.
Foreman slotted the ball into the bottom left corner to even the scores.
Both team pressed forward for the winner but the game ended at 1-1.
Extra-time was an even affair, although Gareth Peck almost won it for Riverside with a header in the last minute, Oxborough diving low to his right to save.
In the shoot-out, Plumb, Storey, Conway and Spenny all scored for Paxton.
Riverside missed their second and Oxborough saved the fourth penalty by Peck to give Little Paxton the trophy.