Spirited performance from reshuffled pack
EDF Energy Junior Vase Round 2 Coventry Welsh 17 St Ives 10 TWO late withdrawals saw Saints go into this rugby union fixture without both their first choice props and the result was a tightly contested match. Ross Thompson was drafted in as emergency tigh
EDF Energy Junior Vase Round 2
Coventry Welsh 17 St Ives 10
TWO late withdrawals saw Saints go into this rugby union fixture without both their first choice props and the result was a tightly contested match.
Ross Thompson was drafted in as emergency tight head as the pack juggled but, despite the upheaval, Saints began the stronger of the sides.
You may also want to watch:
The home side were pinned back under heavy pressure for much of the half but the visitors were to pay for not converting territory into points, only managing one try through Marc Sands. Jack Blackley converted to hand Saints a 7-0 lead at half-time.
Coventry emerged a changed team after the interval and Dave Williams was forced to make an excellent try-saving tackle as the tide turned.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 9 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
The home side were rewarded when they skirted round Saints' flanks to score in the corner, although the conversion was unsuccessful.
Saints held their narrow lead into the last 10 minutes and even extended it through a Blackley penalty but pressure from Coventry earned them two quick penalties and an 11-10 lead.
The visitors desperately launched a barrage of the Welsh line but could not break through, and a further penalty and a drop goal from the home side left Saints facing the long journey home out of the cup.