Somersham beat the weather but lose to Alconbury

BEATING the weather was the first priority for Somersham U12s which they managed but getting the better of Alconbury proved more difficult


BEATING the weather was the first priority for Somersham U12s.

But while they managed this, getting the better of Alconbury proved more difficult. Somersham dominated the first half with Callum Arnold scoring to give them a deserved half-time lead.

Alconbury came out with more purpose in the second period and soon equalised. They continued to press the home defence and despite a man of the match performance by Sam Shook, the visitors went on to win 4-1.

In the Cambs Colts U13 League Cup, Godmanchester came unstuck when they were beaten 3-0 at home by Teversham.

On league duty Bluntisham U12 crashed to a 4-2 defeat at the hands of Plantation Youth but it was joy for Little Paxton U13s as they won against Shelford and Stapleford. In a seven goal thriller Paxton squeezed over the line 4-3.

Most Read

Great Paxton had less luck in their match in the same age group, Sporting Stretham showing them little mercy as they ran out 6-0 winners.

Somersham U14s were involved in a 13-goal thriller, but it was Spartak which won the match 9-4.

KC Cougars roared to success when they clipped the wings of Hardwick Harriers to win 4-0 in their U15 encounter and in the same league Godmanchester travelled to Spartak 78 and enjoyed the day with a 5-4 win.

Priory Parkside U16s took advantage of a playable surface with a fine 5-1 win at a bitterly cold Bottisham. Liam Dawson led the way once again taking his tally to 10 goals in his last four matches. The match began as a cagey affair but in the 15th minute Dawson opened the scoring, striking home firmly with the help of a deflection after a Christian Duddridge shot had been charged down. The second came soon after when substitute Adam Welham was felled in the area - he dusted himself down only to see his spot kick saved but he reacted quickest to smash the rebound into the roof of the net. The second half began slowly and the hosts pulled one back 10 minutes in. Jordan Forshaw found space on the left and his deep cross was met by Alex Bonafont who from close range restored the two-goal advantage. With Priory now in control, Dawson completed the rout - his second coming after Harry Joyce’s through ball before rounding off his hat-trick with an action replay goal - this time Luke Severn providing the pass.