Solid Bulls taste victory
St Ives 20 Wellingborough OGs 3 A SOLID defensive display saw the Bulls finally record their first league win of the season at the fourth attempt on Saturday. It was the visitors who took the lead at St Ives Somersham Road ground when some strong driving
St Ives 20 Wellingborough OGs 3
A SOLID defensive display saw the Bulls finally record their first league win of the season at the fourth attempt on Saturday.
It was the visitors who took the lead at St Ives' Somersham Road ground when some strong driving earned them a penalty 10 metres from the try line.
However, some extra attacking vigour from St Ives saw them battle the slope and wind with gusto and drive the visitors backwards with some energy-sapping drives. Good work from Mike Sykes and Paul Spencer created an overlap on the right wing, putting in Dan Fry for a try in the corner. Jack Blackley couldn't find the extra points.
You may also want to watch:
The Bulls didn't add to their tally before the break but, now enjoying the advantage of the conditions, St Ives punished Wellingborough in the second period with some quick drives.
Steve Burke drove over following a line out before Jason Price powered over to make the score 15-3, with Blackley again unsuccessful with the conversion.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 6 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 7 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
St Ives' fourth try came after further good work from Sykes and Spencer, this time setting up scrum half Jack Paxton to steam over the line unopposed.
The Bulls resisted some late Wellingborough pressure and the end of the game was marred by fighting breaking out across the field. Paxton was dismissed for the Bulls and will be missed in coming weeks with trips to Bedford Swifts and Stoneygate lying ahead.