SHOOTING: Soke Target Sports Club provide the stage for a University Challenge with a difference
- Credit: Archant
Soke Target Sports Club hosted a major sporting fixture recently.
Their Alconbury Weald base was selected as the stage for the small bore matches between Oxford University and Cambridge University.
They are normally held at Bisley, in Surrey, but a clash dates meant an alternative venue was required with the Soke range being chosen.
The competition for the Heslop Trophy saw eight shooters from each university shoot two cards with a maximum possible score of 200. Cambridge were victorious 1555-1517.
The second competition for the Bentata Cup was for teams of four female shooters, also shooting two cards, and Cambridge triumphed against with a 772-740 success.
The top scorer for Cambridge was Fergus Flanagan with 198 while Michael Horrell was the sharpest Oxford shooter with a 192 tally.
The prizes were presented by Jonathon Djanogly MP (Chairman of the British Shooting Sports Council) and David Bentata, who donated the Bentata Cup for competition 30 years ago.
- 1 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 2 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 3 Old Mill upgrade resumes at Godmanchester
- 4 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 7 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 8 Roman Crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 9 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 10 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
Further information on Soke Target Sports Club can be found at Soke-tsc.co.uk