Skipper Wilson leads Somersham home against title rivals
SOMERSHAM S first XI defeated visitors Soham by nine runs in a tight top of the table Cambridgeshire Cricket Association clash on Saturday. Captain Kevin Wilson hit a crucial fifty and Robert Hobbs starred with the ball as Somersham maintained their posit
SOMERSHAM'S first XI defeated visitors Soham by nine runs in a tight top of the table Cambridgeshire Cricket Association clash on Saturday.
Captain Kevin Wilson hit a crucial fifty and Robert Hobbs starred with the ball as Somersham maintained their position at the top of CCA Division 2.
Wilson won the toss and elected to bat with John Taylor and wicketkeeper Michael Davis putting on 30 for the first wicket before Taylor was removed for 16.
Hobbs made just 10 at number three before Wilson came in to anchor the innings with a steady knock of 56 including nine fours.
You may also want to watch:
The next three batsmen fell cheaply - Soham bowler Chris Branch taking two caught and bowled - but Robin Parker offered important support to his skipper, moving the score on from 98-6 to 136-6.
Extras contributed 25 to the Somersham total and at the end of their 40 overs they had reached 174-9.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 3 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 10 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
Soham made a steady start in reply but wickets fell at regular intervals to hinder the visitors' cause.
A total of eight visiting batsmen made double figures but not one progressed past 30 as Soham pulled up nine runs short, finishing on 165-9.
Number three Branch top socred with 29 but Hobbs (3-41) and Frank Parker (2-40) stopped the visitors from finding any sort of rhythm.
The victory leaves Somersham 20 points clear at the top of CCA Division Two ahead of next week's clash with strugglers March Town.