Simon settles it in cup battle
Hunts Senior Cup Second Round A DEPLETED St Ives Town still had enough firepower to win 2-0 at Peterborough League side Ramsey Town. The holders were down to the bare bones with several midfielders unavailable but another Will Fordham free-kick gave them
Hunts Senior Cup Second Round
A DEPLETED St Ives Town still had enough firepower to win 2-0 at Peterborough League side Ramsey Town.
The holders were down to the bare bones with several midfielders unavailable but another Will Fordham free-kick gave them a first-half lead.
After the break Simon Claridge settled the win when he headed in from Dan Pilsworth's corner.
You may also want to watch:
An entertaining game at Sapley Park saw Huntingdon United RGE emerge 3-1 winners against Bluntisham.
RGE started the better but were guilty of poor finishing until late in the first half when Richard King broke the deadlock with a fine individual goal.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 5 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Elsie May's Electric Lounge to raise £15,000 for bakery school
- 8 Aggressive and controlling partner jailed
- 9 Cambridgeshire MP pays tribute to 'very, very good friend' Sir David Amess
- 10 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
Bluntisham proceeded to miss a penalty in the second half before Jamie Clark finished a free-flowing move for RGE to make it 2-0.
The visitors eventually pulled a goal back through a second penalty but Clark's second of the game sealed the win for the home side.
Great Paxton came away from Eaton Socon with a 3-1 victory to progress to the third round.
Adam Boothby opened the scoring for the home side before Paxton came back to equalise through a Russell Davies header.
A long-range effort from Stuart Currington gave the visitors the lead after the break and Darren Fairbrass tapped in on 70 minutes to wrap up the victory.
Two goals were not enough for Somersham Town as they went down 4-2 to last season's runners-up AFC Fletton.
UCL Premier League side Yaxley took a while to break down the stubborn defence of near-neighbours Alconbury but ended up 3-0 winners.
In the other second round game Needingworth gave all they had but slumped to a 3-2 defeat against Hampton Athletic.
Round Three Draw
(Matches played February 2)
Hampton Athletic v Great Paxton; Huntingdon United RGE v St Ives Town; AFC Fletton v Huntingdon Town; Yaxley v St Neots Town.