Silver medal for St Ives star Shona Whitwell on the international stage
- Credit: Archant
St Ives boxer Shona Whitwell has added another major medal to her collection.
Whitwell collected silver in the youth female under 60kg class when representing Great Britain in the Balkan Tournament in Bulgaria.
The 17 year-old was beaten on points by two-time world champion Irma Testa of Italy in the final.
Whitwell had beaten home fighter Hafize Mustafa in the semi-finals after scoring a knockdown inside the opening 10 seconds of the fight.
Mustafa was given two further standing counts before the bout was stopped at the end of the opening round.
Father and trainer Steve Whitwell said: “The England coaches described her performance as being outstanding and there is certainly no disgrace in losing to a top-ranked boxer like Testa.
“It is a valuable experience against an opponent she will amost certainly meet again in major competitions in the future.”
- 1 'Leaning' Christmas tree in St Neots is removed
- 2 Staff threatened with sledgehammer in armed robbery at St Neots jewellers
- 3 Work from home, masks and NHS passes: New Covid rules explained
- 4 Thousands more homes set for Alconbury Weald
- 5 Drug dealers operating the ‘Marlo’ and ‘Star’ lines have been jailed
- 6 Roman Crucifixion burial found in Fenstanton
- 7 Fire Crews called to a blaze that started in a flat in St Ives
- 8 Christmas markets and events happening in Huntingdonshire in the next two weeks
- 9 Horse rider injured in crash on Ramsey Road in Warboys
- 10 Boris Johnson tells people to work from home as Covid 'Plan B' confirmed
Whitwell will begin her bid to retain her national title at the end of January, but St Ives Boxing Academy have another fighter hitting the honours trail this weekend.
Jack Smith has a NABGC Championship quarter-final in Kent.