Silver lining as Danny King helps Great Britain to runners-up finish in World Cup Final
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon speedway star Danny King is the proud owner of a World Cup silver medal.
King helped Great Britain finish as runners-up to Poland in the final of the annual event last night at the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester.
The 29 year-old scored five points from as many rides, ending a difficult night on a high with a vital victory in the penultimate race as the host nation charged from last to second in the standings.
King said: “I had a really disappointing start when touching the tapes in my first race and being excluded.
“I was then a bit nervous about doing it again in my second ride and ended up missing the start as a result.
You may also want to watch:
“But I gradually got myself going and it was brilliant to finish with an important race win in my last ride.
“To win a silver medal is a fantastic achievement and it was a huge honour to be part of the Great Britain team.”
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 5 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 6 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 9 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 10 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
The medal success continued a memorable season for King, who captured the British title for the first time last month and then rode in a first-ever World Championship event, the British SGP, earlier in July.
Poland roared to victory on 39 points last night with Great Britain seven points adrift on 32. Sweden, the 2015 winners, had to settle for bronze on 30 points while Australia brought up the rear on 22.