Seven-up Tuffin wins it for run-shy Upwood
Hunts League Division One Upwood (139 all out) beat Barnack (97 all out) A VIRTUOSO bowling performance from Neil Tuffin earned Upwood a convincing victory against Barnack in a low-scoring fixture. Opening batsman Tuffin s day began badly when he was dism
Hunts League Division One
Upwood (139 all out) beat Barnack (97 all out)
A VIRTUOSO bowling performance from Neil Tuffin earned Upwood a convincing victory against Barnack in a low-scoring fixture.
Opening batsman Tuffin's day began badly when he was dismissed for just six runs - and the rest of the openers followed suit with not one of the top five making double figures.
It was left to middle-order batsman Chris Benton to salvage the innings with a calm knock of 45, while bowler Matt Page helped rebuild the innings with 38.
Tommy Milner was the only other Upwood player to make double figures as Barnack proved their decision to put the hosts into bat was a good one.
- 1 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 2 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 3 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Severe disruption on Great Northern and Thameslink trains to London
- 6 Food delivery robots taking to streets of Cambridgeshire
- 7 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 8 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Jacob Crawshaw memorial football match raises more than £8,100
- 10 Long queues at Peterborough passport office ahead of holiday season
Upwood's bowlers had a small total to defend but did so admirably, with openers Nick Page and Ollie Verral keeping it tight.
Visiting opener Gary Scotcher was the key wicket for Upwood and when Tuffin had him caught for 35, the match was heading the home side's way.
From here on Tuffin took control and decimated the middle-lower order, trapping two batters leg before wicket, bowling another three and taking a caught and bowled.
Barnack eventually crumbled to 97 all out with Tuffin recording best-ever figures of 7-20.
Elsewhere in the Hunts League, Eaton Socon's excellent start to the season continued as they won again.
Barry Cavilla scored 44 and Dave Humphrey 51 as Eaton clinched the win against Newborough.
Godmanchester Town recorded an impressive draw with illustrious visitors Norwich in their East Anglian Premier League fixture on Saturday.
A century from visiting captain Chris Borrett was the highlight of the day, though Goddy's Matt Pateman made an impressive 73.
Borrett won the toss and opted to bat, setting Godmanchester a stiff 250 for victory. Bowler Paul Swannell was expensive for his three wickets, while Praneeth Jayasundera again impressed with figures of 1-37 from 17 overs.
Goddy lost two early wickets in reply, but solid play from Pateman and Swannell (60) ensured there was hope of victory for the home side.
However, with both men caught out in quick succession midway through the innings, attention quickly turned to securing the draw.
Rookie batsman Wayne Bradley defended sensibly for a 50-minute score of seven with David McCallum joining him at the crease to help Goddy record 201-7 and a share of the points.