Seniors and juniors from Hunts AC prove their hot stuff in the latest Frostbite League round
- Credit: Archant
Hunts AC’s senior cross-country runners pulled off their second consecutive Frostbite League team victory to strengthen their grip at the top of the overall standings.
The local runners impressed when hosting the third round of the series at Hinchingbrooke Park last Sunday.
Dave Connell led the team with a fine fourth-place over the five-mile course in 29:45. Simon Margot, Rod McKee, Shane Hunt, Sean Barker, newcomer Daniel Woolf and Ian Marshall placed between 20th to 54th out of 381 runners to close out the men’s scoring team.
The Hunts AC women were key to securing the team triumph with Rachel Sweatt finishing as third woman (65th overall) in 34:06 - the highest placing ever achieved by a female from the club. Siobhan Skinner, who suffered an asthma attack during the race, finished eighth (95th overall) in 35:36 with Polly Smith coming in ninth, three seconds and three overall places behind.
It was the first time in 16 seasons of Frostbite League competition that the Hunts AC women’s scorers all placed in the top 100 out of the combined men’s and women’s race.
The club are firm favourites for overall glory as they boast a five-point advantage in the standings at the halfway stage.
There was more success in the Juniors section as Joey Croft completed a hat-trick of race wins when leading the 162-strong field home by 11 seconds in 9:04.
- 1 Jail for suspected hare courser who forced cars off road during police pursuit
- 2 New cops truck catches out law-breaking drivers in successful week
- 3 Sex offender who 'wiped internet history' jailed for breaching court orders
- 4 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 5 New parklet opens in St Ives
- 6 Ancient relics from Iron Age discovered during road upgrade
- 7 Mother of Rikki Neave 'told the truth and nothing but the truth', jury told
- 8 Ian Stewart 'appeared odd' at wife Diane's funeral, court hears
- 9 Brampton Park golfers swing into action to raise money for hospice
- 10 Motion passed to send letter to Michael Gove after objections to incinerator plan
Shannon Flockhart completed her own treble as she was the first girls to finish for the third consecutive race.
She took eighth overall in 9:46 only 24 hours after finishing sixth in the Under 15 Girls South of England Inter County Cross Country Championships at Biggleswade,
The Hunts AC juniors sit second overall in the Frostbite standings.