Second national title the target for St Ives boxing star Harli Whitwell
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Boxing Academy talent Harli Whitwell bids to collect a second national crown of the year this Saturday.
Whitwell contests the National Association of Boys & Girls Clubs (NABGC) Championships final in Portsmouth.
She faces Alana Atkins of Chadwell in a straight final due to a lack of entries in the Under 63kg class.
Father and coach Steve Whitwell said: “It would be great for Harli’s chances of making the England team if she could pick up the NABGC title so soon after winning her division at the Junior Novice Championships.”
Whitwell’s older sister, Shona, is already a member of the England squad and recently picked up a silver medal when boxing for her country in Bulgaria.
You may also want to watch:
Another St Ives Boxing Academy fighter, Jack Smith, came up short in his recent NABGC quarter-final. Smith paid the price for not throwing enough punches against James McDonaugh of Northolt.
Smith now moves up to senior level and is already being earmarked for a future professional career.
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 9 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'