Scott’s impressive debut as Hunts AC play generation game
SEVENTEEN-year-old Luke Scott, running in his first ever Huntingdonshire Athletics Club five-mile handicap race, broke the tape three and a half minutes ahead of his nearest rival.
Despite the wet and windy conditions, Scott’s time was so impressive that he only just missed out on a place in the Huntingdonshire Athletic Club’s top 50 all-time rankings list.
Two runners on that list did improve their positions, though: they were Kelly Aziz and Alex Smith. Kelly finished second and improved on her best five-mile time by 65 seconds to climb from 16th to 13th, while Smith reduced his personal best by 52 seconds and moved up nine places from 24th to 15th.
Results: 1 Luke Scott 55.28 handicap time (32.29 actual time), 2 Kelly Aziz 58.55 (36.58), 3 Alex Smith 59.07 (29.08), 4 Hilary McConville 59.19 (43.09), 5 Sam Lowings (59.50) 43.11, 6 Jeff Chapman 60.14 (37.48), 7 Peter German 60.25 (37.26), 8 Pauline Stocker 61.15 (41.57), 9 Juliet Fuller 62.25 (49.37), 10 Chun Wan (63.32) 50.44
In the weekly 5k Parkrun at Milton Park in Cambridge, six runners from Hunts AC competed, with father and child head-to-heads making the day an interesting one.
Scott got the better of dad, Mike, by 12 seconds when finishing 16th out of the 347 runners - but in the other duel of generations, Derek Darnell completed the course more than four minutes ahead of his 12-year-old daughter Amelia. However, the younger Darnell had the satisfaction of going to the top of the fledging women’s all-time rankings list after finishing the race almost a minute and a half quicker than the previous record holder.
Results: 16 Luke Scott 18.21, 17 Mike Scott 18.33, 26 Shane Hunt 19.22, 31 Andy Richardson 19.35, 39 Derek Darnell 19.52, 146 Amelia Darnell 24.11.
- 1 Historic Huntingdon building on the market for nearly £500k
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 'Our inspiration' - Baby born four months early survives fight for life
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Garage demolition opponents set up Facebook group
- 6 Old Bailey trial begins of Rikki Neave murder suspect
- 7 Buckfest named as Cambridgeshire's best festival
- 8 Serious case review launched into death of Teddie Mitchell
- 9 Universal credit households to receive £20 for rising living costs
- 10 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products