SCHOOL FOOTBALL: The St Ivo stars are shining again on the national stage
- Credit: Archant
Two St Ivo School teams are closing in on national glory for the second successive year.
Their Under 14 girls’ team reached the final of the ESFA PlayStation Schools’ Cup today (Tuesday).
A second-half winner from captain Zoe Barratt earned a 2-1 victory against Stanley Park High School, of Surrey, in a semi-final tie for a squad who lifted the national crown at Under 13 level last season. Abby Townsend’s opener had been cancelled out in the first half.
The St Ivo side will now face either the Rossett School, of Harrogate, or the Idsall School, from Telford, in the final.
The current group of St Ivo Under 13s are making terrific progress of their own.
You may also want to watch:
They are through to the semi-finals in their age group after a thrilling extra-time comeback earlier this week.
Lucy O’Brien hit a hat-trick to earn a 3-2 triumph for the local pupils against the Gordano School, from Somerset, in a quarter-final tie that provided a repeat of the final last season at Under 12 level – which St Ivo also won to lift the trophy.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 House application rejected as loss of St Neots pub would be 'harmful'
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Hosts St Ivo and Gordano were locked together at 1-1 at full-time in their latest clash on Monday. The visitors then hit the front early in extra-time, but St Ivo rallied to turn the contest in the final five minutes.
O’Brien levelled from the penalty spot before completing her hat-trick with a late winner.
St Ivo will now host Maidstone school Valley Park in the last four.
St Ivo squads:
Under 14: Squad: Zoe Barratt, Aimee Best, Sasha Brown, Ellen Bullin, Alice Claridge, Maddie Claridge, Lana Dobbie, Poppy Dunmore, Tia Everdell, Ella Hampton, Angel Lyden, Caitlin McGeown, Lucy O’Brien, Abby Townsend, Erin Waterman, Charly Woolstenholmes.
Under 13: Sasha Brown, Megan Bullin, Lia Chambers, Yazmine Chettle, Kellie-Marie Dixon, Macy Driver, Maya Edwards, Tia Everdell, Ella Hampton, Jess Jarah, Angel Lyden, Tia Mangroo, Lucy O’Brien, Megan Scott.