Saturday football: St Neots a big step closer to play-offs

Lee Clarke scored and earned a penalty for St Neots Town. Picture by CLAIRE HOWES.

Lee Clarke scored and earned a penalty for St Neots Town. Picture by CLAIRE HOWES. - Credit: Archant

It was billed as the biggest game in their history – and St Neots Town collected a result fitting for such an occasion today.

The Saints strengthened their grip on a Southern League Premier Division play-off spot with a 3-0 triumph over Chippenham in their final home game of the campaign at the Cozy Stadium.

Lee Clarke headed them into the lead in the final minute of the first half and he was also involved when they doubled their lead just before the hour, earning a penalty which was converted by top-scorer Drew Roberts.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men by an injury after they had already used all three substitutes and Saints took advantage to strike again through youngster Luis Vieira - his first senior goal for the club.

St Neots’ play-off prospects received a further boost by top-five rivals Weymouth losing and Hungerford drawing.

St Ives battled back from two goals down to draw their penultimate Division One Central fixture.

Will Muzuimbiri and James Hall found the net as Ricky Marheineke’s men collected a point from a 2-2 deadlock at Godalming.

Most Read

Huntingdon ended their United Counties League Premier Division season with a 17th successive defeat.

A 5-0 loss at Yaxley provided a miserable end to a tough campaign for Town who finish in the 16th place.

A stoppage-time strike condemned Eynesbury to defeat in their penultimate Premier Division outing.

Oadby Town triumphed at Hall Road for the third successive season as they snatched a 2-1 success.

Jordan Nicholson had levelled for Rovers with seven minutes remaining.

Second-bottom St Neots Youth & Saints signed off on a winning note in Division One by edging to a 3-2 victory in a basement battle at S & L Corby.

Godmanchester were leapfrogged into second spot in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division by Stanway.

The Essex side swooped for a 2-1 success at Bearscroft Lane today as Rovers suffered a third successive defeat. Tom Meechan hit their goal.