Saints win under-18s derby with late goals
A LATE flurry of goals at Jubilee Park on Monday evening saw visitors St Ives beat Huntingdon Town 3-1 in the Ridgeons Eastern Counties Youth League.
The West Division game was all square, despite St Ives’ dominance, right up until the 77th minute when Jeff Black struck for the Saints with midfielder Tom Richards scoring the first of his double four minutes later and then the second to make it 3-0 in the 90th minute.
But that wasn’t the end of the scoring – Huntingdon’s Jamie Waterworth grabbed his side’s consolation goal following a defensive error which gifted him the ball in front of an open goal.
The Saints now sit in third, while Huntingdon are seventh in the 10-team table.
Saints captain Jack Prime had an early chance from a free kick and midfielder Joe Kelly shot wide when also faced with an open goal. Five minutes later Saints’ Tom Richards saw one of his many shots hit the near post.
You may also want to watch:
Huntingdon had one of their best chances on 25 minutes when a superbly timed strike forced goalkeeper Dan Sewell to pull off a great save.
Saints co-manager Darnell Dodd said: “We got the result eventually. It was a fairly even game until 50 minutes when we started to bring our substitutes on. They really made a difference to the side.
- 1 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 2 Man who burgled his own father’s home is sentenced
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Seven men jailed for stealing bikes worth £70k
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 Drink driver arrested in Brampton for being four times over the legal limit
- 9 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
- 10 Axe seized and two people charged for drink driving in St Ives
“We dominated the game but there was no end product until the subs came on. They had that little something extra we needed.”
Steve Small, the other half of the St Ives management team, added “Tom Richards had another good game and so did Ollie Raine – and Dan’s first-half save was fantastic”
Ridgeons Youth League West Division
P W D L F A Pts
St Neots Town 15 11 1 3 61 23 34
Langford 14 9 4 1 43 18 31
St Ives Town 15 9 3 3 37 22 30
Stotfold 10 9 1 0 38 5 28
Blackstones 15 8 0 7 57 42 24
Royston Town 14 5 3 6 45 42 17
Deeping Rangers 12 4 2 6 32 27 14
Huntingdon Town 18 3 3 12 26 74 12
Somersham Town 13 2 3 8 26 31 9
Chatteris Town 16 1 0 15 21 105 3