Saints snatch a last-gasp point at Buckby

Tolley levels in injury time as promoted champions Neots sign off with a point

UCL Premier Division

Long Buckby 1 (Holman 60)

St Neots Town 1 (Tolley 90+3)

SAINTS missed out on a new points record but Shane Tolley’s leveller three minutes into added time enabled them to match Rothwell Town’s 1993-94 haul of 105 points.

But Tolley’s 52nd goal of a quite unbelievable campaign did see them post a new record goal total for any division of the league in its 116-year history.

It was their 160th in league action this term, an average of exactly four per game.

Most Read

Neots also matched Kempston’s 1973-74 record of just one defeat in a Premier campaign, as well Potton’s unbeaten away campaign in 1988-89.

Although all of those milestones had come under threat from Dan Holman’s 25th goal of the season for Buckby on the hour – in what was the champions’ final UCL fixture before moving up to Step 4 next season.

Inevitably, the match had an end of season feel about it and control was not easy in a strong gusty wind. Tolley almost got on the end of a Junior Kanuda pass, before Jordan Gent had to make a fine clearance from a cross by Greg Ling while Luke McShane had to make an excellent save from Olly Wilkinson.

Saints almost scored on 15 minutes when Tolley lobbed a shot just over the bar and came even closer seven minutes later, as Dominic Green’s corner hit the crossbar.

From another corner, the ball skimmed off Ian Gayle’s forehead as he stretched to try and head home at the far post.

And, in the closing minutes of the half, Saints appealed in vain for a penalty when Lewis Hilliard appeared to be brought down.

The hosts took the lead on the hour mark as Holman shot across keeper McShane into the far corner of the net after beating Gent.

This inspired the home team as McShane had to take a dangerous cross from Andy Gordon and tip a header from Robinson round the post.

Saints then hit back and dominated the last 15 minutes of the game, which resulted in Tolley equalising from Green’s cross deep into added time.

Unbelievably, the visitors almost snatched the winner a minute later but the referee blew the whistle with Saints bearing down on goal.

St Neots Town: McShane, D Moore, Hyem, Hilliard (Jacob 65), Gent, Gayle, Davies (Strachan 53), Kanuda (Webb 51), S Moore, Tolley, Green. Subs not used: Fuff, Fordham.