NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: St Neots turn to their Iron man again and also snap up new defender
- Credit: Archant
St Neots Town manager Matt Clements has completed a double-signing on the eve of the new Southern League Premier Division Central season.
Clements has drafted in goalkeeper Finlay Iron on loan from League Two club Cambridge United and also snapped up central defender Daniel Oleniran.
Iron is well-known to Saints after finishing last term with the club while Oleniran joins from league rivals Hitchin but has had spells in America and Holland in the past.
Both men featured in the club’s final friendly outing – a 1-1 draw at Mildenhall last weekend – and are likely to play in the Premier Division Central curtain-raiser at Stratford this Saturday.
“I couldn’t ignore the opportunity to bring Finlay back to the club when it arose,” said Clements.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s no secret we’ve had two goalkeepers with us during pre-season, but I feel Finlay will be a great signing.
“He is one of the best goalkeeping prospects I’ve seen from this area and I fully expect him to have a good career in the professional game in the future.
- 1 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 2 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 3 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 9 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 10 Diners at St Ives pub help raise £8k for hospitality charity
“We’re also delighted to bring Daniel in. He has a good pedigree and also provides the experience and presence we need.
“He knows all about our league after being at Hitchin and he certainly looked the part in the friendly at Mildenhall.”
Both the goals in that game arrived in the closing 10 minutes with hosts Mildenhall briefly going ahead before triallist Devante Stanley levelled for Saints.
Clements is still contemplating offering wideman Stanley a deal – he could potentially become the 10th new arrival of the summer - but Saints won’t sign midfielder Tom Spark.
Goalkeeper Harry Reynolds is undergoing treatment for a shoulder injury sustained in the warm-up ahead of a July friendly against League One side Peterborough.
He could still feature for the club in the future while Dan Swan, the other shot-stopper to spend pre-season with Saints, is a target for a couple of Step 4 sides.
Summer signing Prince Mutswumguma has signed for Step 5 side Haverhill Rovers on a dual registration deal. Mutswumguma needs senior experience after being released by the Cambridge United youth set-up.