WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: St Ives Town Ladies continue their march towards another title success
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies took another big step towards a second successive title triumph last Sunday.
Darren Marjoram’s side won 1-0 at Stevenage Reserves to stretch their lead at the Eastern Region Women’s League Division One summit to nine points.
They are now hot favourites to follow up their Cambridgeshire Women’s Premiership crown of last term with more glory.
Top scorer Tierney Coulson saw an acrobatic effort saved in a goalless first half and Saints ace Katie Stancombe was denied by the woodwork early in the second period.
Coulson was then denied by a fingertip save but the breakthrough eventually arrived as substitute Emily Smith finished smartly after exchanging passes with Coulson.
You may also want to watch:
Saints then saw out the contest pretty comfortably to extend their unbeaten record in a fine debut season at this level to 17 league matches.
Saints go to Lawford Ladies this Sunday before hosting closest challengers Bowers & Pitsea in a crunch Easter Sunday (April 21) showdown at Westwood Road.
- 1 Complaints as elderly people wait in freezing conditions for vaccine
- 2 Two weeks left to respond to proposed flight path over Huntingdonshire
- 3 Two men to appear in court to face aggravated burglary charges.
- 4 Villagers call for action after 'worst floods in years'
- 5 HSBC is to close its branch in Huntingdon, it has been announced
- 6 Pair jailed after drugs and cash worth £184k seized in 'peaceful' village
- 7 Parking issues in Huntingdon are a 'safety hazard' says community chairman
- 8 100-year-old care home resident reveals secret to a long life.
- 9 Hinchingbrooke planning to expand critical care as Covid cases rise
- 10 Vaccine programme in St Ives and Warboys to start this week