WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Late drama as Katie Stancombe fires St Ives Town Ladies to preliminary round success
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies could hardly have left it any later to secure Women’s FA Cup success last Sunday.
Darren Marjoram’s side finally made a breakthrough with just 15 seconds of extra-time remaining to pip Corby Town Ladies 1-0 in a preliminary round tie.
Katie Stancombe was the player to provide the dramatic late twist at Westwood Road as the prospect of penalties loomed large.
She displayed fine vision and even better execution to beat an out-of-position goalkeeper at her near post with a fierce low shot after racing down the right.
Saints had earlier squandered a glorious chance in the dying moments of normal time when Tierney Coulson slammed a penalty over the bar, but they got there in the end.
Marjoram said: “We weren’t at our best in all truth, but we definitely did enough to deserve the win. I loved the way we dug in to grind out a result.
“It was another step forward for us to play against and beat a Corby team who are well established at regional level.”
- 1 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 2 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 3 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
- 4 Bosses warn of 'choppy waters' ahead for health trust
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 7 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 8 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 9 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 10 New organic coffee shop opens in St Neots
Saints’ reward is another home tie in the first qualifying round this Sunday. They entertain Peterborough United Ladies, who play their football one level higher, at Westwood Road, 2pm.