WOMEN’S FOOTBALL: Late drama as Katie Stancombe fires St Ives Town Ladies to preliminary round success
- Credit: Archant
St Ives Town Ladies could hardly have left it any later to secure Women’s FA Cup success last Sunday.
Darren Marjoram’s side finally made a breakthrough with just 15 seconds of extra-time remaining to pip Corby Town Ladies 1-0 in a preliminary round tie.
Katie Stancombe was the player to provide the dramatic late twist at Westwood Road as the prospect of penalties loomed large.
She displayed fine vision and even better execution to beat an out-of-position goalkeeper at her near post with a fierce low shot after racing down the right.
Saints had earlier squandered a glorious chance in the dying moments of normal time when Tierney Coulson slammed a penalty over the bar, but they got there in the end.
You may also want to watch:
Marjoram said: “We weren’t at our best in all truth, but we definitely did enough to deserve the win. I loved the way we dug in to grind out a result.
“It was another step forward for us to play against and beat a Corby team who are well established at regional level.”
- 1 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 2 Award for teenager's bravery after losing his sight
- 3 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 4 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
Saints’ reward is another home tie in the first qualifying round this Sunday. They entertain Peterborough United Ladies, who play their football one level higher, at Westwood Road, 2pm.