Saints on the brink after weekend win

Neots on verge of UCL title and promotion after beating King’s Lynn.

King’s Lynn Town 2-4 St Neots Town.

CHAMPIONS-ELECT St Neots Town put one hand firmly on the United Counties League Premier Division title after a stunning win over 10-man Lynn in Saturday’s make or break clash at the Walks

Only two more wins are needed and, baring an almighty collapse in their final three games, Saints will be playing Zamaretto Southern League football next season.

A Stefan Moore lob followed by a Lewis Webb penalty then a brace from Dan Jacob silenced the 1,445 in attendance, but sent the batch of travelling supporters into ecstasy.

The Linnets – who had Pat Bexfield sent off just before the break - had their moments and, from 3-0 down, pulled back to 3-2 with half an hour to go, but were unable to complete a Roy of the Rovers comeback.

Lynn defender Martin McNeil spurned a glorious chance to put his side ahead early on, failing to convert at the far post after Luke McShane made a hash of Jamie Thurlbourne’s inswinging corner.

Most Read

It proved a costly miss as St Neots went ahead on the half hour mark.

Shane Tolley’s flick sent Stefan Moore clear to lob the ball over Alex Street, with Ross Watson’s efforts to clear off the line in vain.

Saints firmly seized the initiative five minutes before the break when Mickey Hyem took a return pass from Tolley, but was brought down inside the box by Bexfield as he prepared to shoot.

Bexfield was shown a red card and Neots skipper Webb confidently struck home the penalty – his third from the spot against Lynn this season.

A third Saints goal arrived after 50 minutes, with Webb feeding Jacob and his jinking run ended with a left-footed shot nestling just inside the far post.

A double substitution paid off for the home side as they then scored twice in quick succession just before the hour.

One of the replacements, Robbie Harris, twisted on the by-line before curling a cross on to the head of Jack Defty who looped the ball over McShane on 57 minutes.

Then, two minutes later, handball by Will Fordham saw the deficit cut further as Jamie Thurlbourne scored the spot kick.

But when Jacob ran through a tiring and under-manned defence to seal the visitors’ success with his second and Neots’ fourth on 80 minutes, it was game, set and match.

St Neots: McShane, D Moore, Hyem, Webb (C), Gayle, Fordham, Green, Strachan (Kanuda 52), S Moore (Hilliard 60), Tolley, Jacob. Subs not used: Fuff, Scully, Trebes.

• Next up for Neots is a Hinchingbrooke Cup semi-final at home against Biggleswade Town on Wednesday evening before Saturday’s home league game with Daventry United.

A win this weekend would mean Saints will then be crowned champions with a win against St Ives Town on Easter Monday (3pm).