Saints back to winning ways against Leighton

ST Neots Town’s up-and-down season continued on Tuesday night when they beat Leighton 4-0 at the Hunts Post Community Stadium.

Dennis Greene said he had a “little chat” with his strikers before the match – and asked them to lend a hand in defence, and the way Shane Tolley and Stefan Moore reacted definitely pleased the manager.

Back in form after his suspension, Tolley scored twice – and the other goals came from Lewis Hilliard – a wonder strike – and winger Dan Jacob.

Also back in the fold was midfielder Junior Konadu, who returned to the club over the weekend after his proposed trial with League One side AFC Bournemouth fell through.

“For the first 35 minutes we had numerous chances and then Lewis hit his wonder goal,” said Greene.

“Steff and Tolley had really good games; we had a little chat with them and asked them to do a little bit more defensively and make sure they got into the right areas.

“They did that.”

Most Read

The win followed Saints disappointing loss at Slough Town on Saturday where, once again, the team underperformed.

But on Tuesday night they started brightly and Moore and Hilliard went close early on; Hilliard chipping the ball over the top of the bar with the goal at his mercy, while Kevin March in Leighton’s goal saved well from Tolley, who looked dangerous whenever he was on the ball.

Hilliard made up for his earlier miss in the 35th minute when he the scored from 35 yards, and six minutes later Jacob doubled that lead after some good work from defender Rene Steer whose first shot had been parried.

Tolley’s goals came in an 11-minute spell at the start of the second half; the first from a Hilliard cross, the second after the striker had latched on to an unselfish ball from Jacob.

Having fallen to eighth place in the Southern League Division One Central Division, the Saints moved back up into sixth after the win.

On Saturday they host Chertsey Town at The Hunts Post Community Stadium – but Tuesday night’s away game at Daventry Town has been postponed because their opponents have cup commitments.