RUGBY UNION: Staggerers become swaggerers as they claim cup success
- Credit: Archant
Skipper Paul Baynes paid tribute to a ‘great bunch of blokes’ after Huntingdon Staggerers lifted the East Midlands Intermediate Vets Cup at the first attempt.
The evergreen aces beat Oundle 24-12 in a final played in sweltering conditions at Stewart & Lloyds, in Corby, last Saturday.
Tries from Spencer Burgess and man-of-the-match Neil Welsh in the final 20 minutes secured victory for Staggerers after the sides had shared four touch-downs in the opening period.
Baynes said: “This is the first season for a number of years in which the Staggerers have played regularly.
“To win this trophy at the first time of asking is a fantastic achievement.”
Matt Stenson cruised through a big gap in the Oundle defence to grab the first try under the posts and Chris Matthews added the conversion.
Oundle hit back with a well-worked, but unconverted, score of their own before Jamie Rice darted in to edge Stags further clear.
- 1 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 2 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 3 Suspected sleeping driver with child on board stopped on A1(M)
- 4 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
- 5 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 6 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 7 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 8 Exclusive look at photograph taken at RAF Warboys from IWM's new The Royal Family in Wartime book
- 9 Platinum Jubilee: 100-person laser tag tournament in woods near Huntingdon
- 10 Meet the volunteers making a difference for Ukrainians in Huntingdonshire
Oundle again came up with a response and a converted try brought them level before the break. But the late scores from Burgess and Welsh ensured Staggerers prevailed.