RUGBY UNION: Bad day for Stags’ men - but good day for the kids
- Credit: Archant
Huntingdon suffered a second-half collapse as they fell to their biggest defeat of the Midlands Division One East season.
Stags crashed 56-22 at Nottinghamshire side Paviors last Saturday to end a positive year on a low note.
Dan Malem and Seth Muggeridge went over for tries as the opening period ended in a 14-14 deadlock.
A Malem penalty and a second touchdown from vice-captain Muggeridge also kept the locals in contention early in the second period, but they were soon blown away by a run of four unanswered tries from their hosts.
The heavy loss leaves Huntingdon sitting fifth in the standings at the turn of the year. Their opening test of 2017 is at home to a Bugbrooke side, who sit level on points with them, on January 7.
You may also want to watch:
A set of Huntingdon youngsters fared better than the club’s senior men last weekend.
Their Under 14 side recorded a 19-5 success against Biggleswade in the opening round of the East Midlands Cup.
- 1 Van crashes into pram, killing five month old baby
- 2 Dad's emotional tribute after baby son dies in A10 horror crash
- 3 Lorry driver who 'couldn't stand up' was three times over drink-drive limit
- 4 Fantastic snow photos from our Hunts Post readers
- 5 Ramsey schoolgirl names new housing development
- 6 Help for dog owners who bought puppies in lockdown
- 7 Dad uses own mental health struggles to support other men
- 8 Man who drove lorry while three times over the drink-drive limit has been jailed
- 9 Warning after man spotted in Huntingdon hanging around vehicles
- 10 County council ploughs £3.4m into farm deal
Dan Mhlanga provided an equalising try in the first half before Harvey Pinkey went over to put the Stags lads ahead in the second period.
His effort was converted by Luke Basham, and it was a similar story late on when Pinkey crossed for his second try.
Stags Under 14s: Forwards - Drew Gould, Luke Basham, Alistair Campbell, Andrew Clemens, Jack Connell, Jace Craig, Alexander Goddard, William Ramply, Martin Ramsbottom, Austin Brennan, Harvey Pinkney, Max Proietti (captain). Backs - Ben Rowbottom, Kyle Bennett, Jake Bycroft, Remy Edwards, Daniel Mhlanga, Noah Penny-Toure, Adam Taylor, Finley Matthews.