RUGBY: Paviors get Tango’d as Morgan stars for Stags
- Credit: Archant
Tango Morgan toasted a try double as Huntingdon & District claimed their first win of the season.
Stags tasted success in their opening Racecourse outing of 2016/17 when beating Paviors 27-10 in a Midlands Division One East clash last Saturday – and all the points were shared by two men.
The boot of Tad Chapman was responsible for 17 of them as he kicked five penalties and a conversion, while Morgan twice went over for tries.
Stags held an early lead courtesy of Chapman’s first successful penalty, but a converted try then put the visitors in the ascendancy.
Morgan changed that when forcing his way over after a smart offload, while a Chapman conversion and another penalty stretched Stags’ advantage to 13-7 at the break.
And the hosts’ margin of victory was made considerably more emphatic by a hat-trick of penalties in the second period before Morgan capitalised on a Reggie Reid break to cross the line for a second time.
Stags handed a senior debut to Matthew Waring against Paviors and head coach Damien Whales is likely to have further selection headaches ahead of a trip to Bugbrooke this Saturday.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 Judge makes contempt of court ruling against Camp Beagle protesters
- 3 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 4 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Plans for new Pightle land in Eaton Socon after generous donation
- 6 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 7 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 8 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 9 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 10 Buckden children raise a whopping £1,313.60 at cake sale
Points-machine Dan Malem is available after returning from a six-month stint in New Zealand while Russ Polson is back from playing American football.
Stags’ second XV launch their East Midlands Merit Table campaign at Peterborough this Saturday.