Royston youngsters reach FA Youth Cup first round proper
- Credit: Archant
First half goals from Ross Maddox and Danny McGovern saw Royston Town advance to the first round proper of the FA Youth Cup at the expense of Brentwood Town.
Despite captain and centre-half Conor Kilgallon deputising as goalkeeper after George Rogers fell ill in the warm-up, this was a comfortable win for the visitors.
Royston made the journey to Essex in fine form having won all nine competitive games this season.
Inevitably, it was they who took the lead after just six minutes.
Maddox beat the offside trap to latch on to a fine pass through the middle from Reece King and coolly side-foot home from close range.
You may also want to watch:
However, McGovern made no mistake in first half stoppage time, running onto a neat pass from fellow scorer Maddox before chipping the home keeper from inside the box to double the away side’s lead.
Royston had the chance to put the game to bed just five minutes into the second half when they were awarded a penalty after a Brentwood defender handled in the box, but McGovern hit the crossbar from the spot.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 4 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 5 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
Brentwood pushed forward in the latter stages but could not find a reply as Royston held firm.
Royston U18s now enter the first round proper of the FA Youth Cup and have been drawn to face either Barton Rovers or AFC Sudbury at home on November 5.