Royston youngsters reach FA Youth Cup first round proper
- Credit: Archant
First half goals from Ross Maddox and Danny McGovern saw Royston Town advance to the first round proper of the FA Youth Cup at the expense of Brentwood Town.
Despite captain and centre-half Conor Kilgallon deputising as goalkeeper after George Rogers fell ill in the warm-up, this was a comfortable win for the visitors.
Royston made the journey to Essex in fine form having won all nine competitive games this season.
Inevitably, it was they who took the lead after just six minutes.
Maddox beat the offside trap to latch on to a fine pass through the middle from Reece King and coolly side-foot home from close range.
However, McGovern made no mistake in first half stoppage time, running onto a neat pass from fellow scorer Maddox before chipping the home keeper from inside the box to double the away side’s lead.
Royston had the chance to put the game to bed just five minutes into the second half when they were awarded a penalty after a Brentwood defender handled in the box, but McGovern hit the crossbar from the spot.
- 1 Police dog helped find drugs and knife in Ramsey
- 2 Small community café in St Neots "just hanging on"
- 3 New Toolstation branch to open in Huntingdon
- 4 Great honour for two men awarded the freedom of Huntingdon
- 5 Three dogs including pregnant Jack Russell stolen from Wimpole kennels
- 6 Come and see Huntingdon's Beacon lighting ceremony for the Jubilee
- 7 Find out what's happening in Huntingdonshire for the Queen's Jubilee?
- 8 Nursery rated inadequate after inspectors said safety was 'compromised'
- 9 St Neots Street Food Fest promises to be "bigger and better"
- 10 Pupils enjoy early jubilee celebration with all things royal
Brentwood pushed forward in the latter stages but could not find a reply as Royston held firm.
Royston U18s now enter the first round proper of the FA Youth Cup and have been drawn to face either Barton Rovers or AFC Sudbury at home on November 5.