Royals shine on the big stage with fine finish in first Premier League racing campaign
- Credit: Archant
The Cambridgeshire Royals are celebrating a fourth-place finish in their debut Premier League season.
The Eynesbury-based outfit have quickly established themselves among the dragon boat elite in only their second full year of racing.
The Royals impressed at the final event of the season in Worcester recently when finishing fourth in the 1,800m pursuit event and triumphing in the minor cup final over the 200m distance.
Team manager Paul Saywell said: “It has been an amazing season with a committed bunch of people who just love being part of an incredible dragon boat team.
“We have a mixed crew of men, ladies and juniors who all compete against the best paddlers this country has to offer and we have proved our fourth place is no fluke.
You may also want to watch:
“We have finished ahead of 20 experienced teams in the final standings and I am extremely proud to be the manager of this team.”
The Royals’ final outing of the season is the two-day BDA National Cup Finals at the National Watersports Centre in Nottingham this Saturday and Sunday.
- 1 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 Volunteers needed to support booster jabs programme
- 4 Appeal to Transport Secretary over Huntingdon Rail Station plan
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 'Plague' of flies in Huntingdonshire villages
- 7 Huntingdonshire parks awarded Green Flag status
- 8 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
- 9 Axe-wielding burglar smashed way into St Neots house
- 10 Man dies after single-car crash near Godmanchester
The Royals have also fielded a junior team which has competed in combined ladies and junior races throughout the season.
One of their brightest prospects is 14 year-old Thomas Smith, who has been spotted by Great Britain scouts ahead of the World Championships in China next year.
Cambridgeshire Royals are keen to attract new members to their team. Anyone interested can call 07736 311031, email email@example.com or go along to Sunday training sessions at St Neots Marina from 8.45-11am.