Royals shine on the big stage with fine finish in first Premier League racing campaign
- Credit: Archant
The Cambridgeshire Royals are celebrating a fourth-place finish in their debut Premier League season.
The Eynesbury-based outfit have quickly established themselves among the dragon boat elite in only their second full year of racing.
The Royals impressed at the final event of the season in Worcester recently when finishing fourth in the 1,800m pursuit event and triumphing in the minor cup final over the 200m distance.
Team manager Paul Saywell said: “It has been an amazing season with a committed bunch of people who just love being part of an incredible dragon boat team.
“We have a mixed crew of men, ladies and juniors who all compete against the best paddlers this country has to offer and we have proved our fourth place is no fluke.
“We have finished ahead of 20 experienced teams in the final standings and I am extremely proud to be the manager of this team.”
The Royals’ final outing of the season is the two-day BDA National Cup Finals at the National Watersports Centre in Nottingham this Saturday and Sunday.
- 1 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 2 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 3 Huntingdon man due in court on drug charges
- 4 New bus service launched to serve Hunts villages
- 5 Jail for Huntingdon man who threatened to kill woman
- 6 Read the fascinating history of The Old Bridge Hotel
- 7 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 8 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 9 Man who died on A1 at Sawtry is named
- 10 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
The Royals have also fielded a junior team which has competed in combined ladies and junior races throughout the season.
One of their brightest prospects is 14 year-old Thomas Smith, who has been spotted by Great Britain scouts ahead of the World Championships in China next year.
Cambridgeshire Royals are keen to attract new members to their team. Anyone interested can call 07736 311031, email email@example.com or go along to Sunday training sessions at St Neots Marina from 8.45-11am.