Rowing: Howell and Hetherington shine at Henley Regatta
SAM Howell and Toby Hetherington became the first St Neots Rowing Club members to represent the club for the first time in several years at the Henley Royal Regatta. Competing in the Fawley Cup for junior coxless quads, 14-year-old Howell and Hetheringto
SAM Howell and Toby Hetherington became the first St Neots Rowing Club members to represent the club for the first time in several years at the Henley Royal Regatta.
Competing in the Fawley Cup for junior coxless quads, 14-year-old Howell and Hetherington, 18, rowed alongside two boys from Bedford's Star Club.
Howell was chosen to stroke the quad having already notched victories in two junior competitions this year.
The team was exempt from qualifying, having already posted impressive times this year and this proved justified as they comfortably saw off their first challengers from St Peter's School, York.
You may also want to watch:
In the quarter finals the team was unlucky to be drawn against a team containing three top junior scullers and a previous competition winner.
The gulf in class proved just too much and the team was eliminated, going down by three lengths.
- 1 Woman dies after car hits lamppost in Eaton Ford
- 2 Huge queues and excitement in Huntingdon as shoppers return
- 3 Tribute for inspirational transplant patient Sammi Sparke
- 4 Drivers escape unharmed after lorry and roadworks truck crash on A1m
- 5 Story of "poltergeist activity" at the local pub
- 6 New Shoe Zone 'concept store' opens
- 7 Burglar's DNA linked to break in at Ramsey Royal British Legion Club
- 8 People and businesses in St Neots 'thrilled' as lockdown eases
- 9 New secondary school for St Neots could be open by 2025
- 10 Village was location of rail disaster and hosted music festival for many years
Coach Martyn Rooney said: "It was a very, very tough field at the Regatta and to be honest just qualifying for the competition was a fantastic achievement for the boys.