ROWING: Double delight for St Ives youngsters and masters
- Credit: Archant
There was a double helping of double delight for St Ives Rowing Club last weekend.
Their Masters D quad of Gary Gilbey, Tony Bennett, Pip Woodford and Paul Ashmore triumphed in two events at the Peterborough Summer Regatta.
They produced a dominant Saturday display over the 1,000m course at Thorpe Meadows to win their final by more than 10 seconds from the Bedford-based Star club.
And the St Ives quartet proved to be just as effective over half that distance when adding a 500m triumph the following day, coming home two lengths clear of their rivals.
That feat was matched by the talented young duo of Sam Hasted and Rory Crouch, who also tasted success over 1,000m and 500m in the Junior 14 double-sculls section.
You may also want to watch:
And Lauren Maddison just missed out on more glory when finishing second in the Women’s Junior 16 single sculls final over the longer distance.
- 1 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 2 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 5 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 6 Uninsured driver caught in Ramsey speeding up to 100mph
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed