Rovers slump at home to Tiptree
Ridgeons League Division One Godmanchester Rovers 1 Tiptree United 4 TIPTREE had already gained promotion back to the Premier Division when they arrived at Bearscroft Lane but were in no mood to relax as they looked for points to clinch the title. We alw
Ridgeons League Division One
Godmanchester Rovers 1 Tiptree United 4
TIPTREE had already gained promotion back to the Premier Division when they arrived at Bearscroft Lane but were in no mood to relax as they looked for points to clinch the title.
"We always knew that this would be a tough match," Rovers manager Karly Hurst said. "Tiptree showed why they have done so well."
The visitors settled quickly into their stride when Tom English had a goal-bound effort blocked and a shot from Gary Wraight clipped the top of the crossbar.
They were rewarded after11 minutes when a Lee Owen corner was headed home by Richard Manning, despite Nicky Hurst's attempts to clear.
- 1 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 2 Pictures show dramatic skies over Huntingdonshire and the Fens
- 3 Work starts on affordable 56-home development in Huntingdon
- 4 White roses and political history in Huntingdonshire
- 5 Huntingdon thief jailed after stealing watch, iPod and iPhone from vehicles
- 6 RSPCA investigating 'welfare of beagles' at Huntingdon dog breeding unit
- 7 80th birthday celebrations for the East's longest-serving lollipop lady
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 Family pay tribute to brothers, 13 and 17, killed in horror BMW crash
- 10 East West Rail host public event to discuss controversial project
Three minutes later Tiptree doubled their lead when a free-kick was headed in by Rhys Darg rose high to head the ball beyond Gavin Armitage.
Just before the half hour Jamie Hurst limped off injured and was replaced by Rory Fenton. This signalled a comeback by Godmanchester as firstly Chris Hyem had a long-range shot well gathered by the visiting goalkeeper and then they equalised on 34 minutes.
Substitute Fenton collected a pass from Stephen Hurst and took advantage of space on the right to cross to the near post where Lee Boon timed his run perfectly to powerfully head past the goalkeeper.
Hyem almost levelled the scores before Godmanchester were caught on the break as Lewin Ward broke into the penalty area and won a penalty which Tom English converted.
After the break Steve Thompson brought a good save from the visiting stopper but it was the visitors that reassumed control and leading scorer English had two good chances to extend the lead.
After 73 minutes Tiptree effectively clinched all three points with their fourth goal when Jamie Arlick released Wraight to lob the ball over Armitage.