Rovers slump at home to Tiptree
Ridgeons League Division One Godmanchester Rovers 1 Tiptree United 4 TIPTREE had already gained promotion back to the Premier Division when they arrived at Bearscroft Lane but were in no mood to relax as they looked for points to clinch the title. We alw
Ridgeons League Division One
Godmanchester Rovers 1 Tiptree United 4
TIPTREE had already gained promotion back to the Premier Division when they arrived at Bearscroft Lane but were in no mood to relax as they looked for points to clinch the title.
"We always knew that this would be a tough match," Rovers manager Karly Hurst said. "Tiptree showed why they have done so well."
You may also want to watch:
The visitors settled quickly into their stride when Tom English had a goal-bound effort blocked and a shot from Gary Wraight clipped the top of the crossbar.
They were rewarded after11 minutes when a Lee Owen corner was headed home by Richard Manning, despite Nicky Hurst's attempts to clear.
- 1 24 Hours in Police Custody: This is what happened to Alex Fitzpatrick
- 2 St Neots man loses 7 stone and raises £500 for charity
- 3 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 6 Pedestrian seriously injured in Papworth bypass crash near St Ives
- 7 Market demand leads to a reduction in Alconbury homes
- 8 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
Three minutes later Tiptree doubled their lead when a free-kick was headed in by Rhys Darg rose high to head the ball beyond Gavin Armitage.
Just before the half hour Jamie Hurst limped off injured and was replaced by Rory Fenton. This signalled a comeback by Godmanchester as firstly Chris Hyem had a long-range shot well gathered by the visiting goalkeeper and then they equalised on 34 minutes.
Substitute Fenton collected a pass from Stephen Hurst and took advantage of space on the right to cross to the near post where Lee Boon timed his run perfectly to powerfully head past the goalkeeper.
Hyem almost levelled the scores before Godmanchester were caught on the break as Lewin Ward broke into the penalty area and won a penalty which Tom English converted.
After the break Steve Thompson brought a good save from the visiting stopper but it was the visitors that reassumed control and leading scorer English had two good chances to extend the lead.
After 73 minutes Tiptree effectively clinched all three points with their fourth goal when Jamie Arlick released Wraight to lob the ball over Armitage.