Rovers reign again in Under 18 final
- Credit: Archant
Eynesbury lifted the Hunts Under 18 Cup for the third time in four years.
The current crop of Rovers talents followed up previous triumphs in 2012 and 2014 with a high-scoring destruction of Yaxley on home turf at Hall Road last Friday night (April 10).
Rhys Thorpe and Dom Smith both claimed doubles in the 7-1 success with Liam Littlefair, Chris Smith and Ollie Lee sharing the other goals.
It had looked as though it may be a frustrating night for Rovers as they spurned three early chances to hit the front, but a quickfire Thorpe brace put them in command.
Littlefair, a former Yaxley player, then struck against his old club to reward the persistent work of Callum Stockwell and hand Eynesbury an almost unassailable half-time advantage.
You may also want to watch:
The goals continued to flow in the second period as Chris Smith, who made his first-team debut for the club the following day, struck with a classy free-kick.
Yaxley did grab a consolation soon after, but it didn’t knock Eynesbury out of their stride.
- 1 Station hub will "breathe new life" into Huntingdon
- 2 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 3 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Take a sneaky peak inside the new Di Rita's at No2 restaurant in St Ives
- 6 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 7 How well do you know Huntingdon?
- 8 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 9 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 10 Numerous Huntingdon High Street shops shut due to flooding
Dom Smith got in on the act just after the hour after Thorpe had flicked a Nathan Arnold free-kick into his path and added his second when latching onto a Matty Gilbert pass, flicking the ball over the Yaxley keeper and nodding into the gaping net.
Defender Lee completed the scoring in the closing stages with a smart header from a Chris Smith corner.
Eynesbury team: Louis Cook, Ollie Lee, Nathan George, Ryan Wood, Ben Hickling, Callum Stockwell, Chris Smith, Ryan Vale, Conor Inskip, Liam Littlefair, Rhys Thorpe. Subs: Lee Adams, Danny Marriott, Dom Smith, Matty Gilbert, Nathan Arnold.