Rovers reap rewards in cup semi
South Midlands Floodlit Cup Semi-Final Eynesbury Rovers 4 Royston Town 1 A BARNSTORMING performance saw Eynesbury Rovers book their place in the final of the competition. Although the Crows play at a higher level in the football pyramid, Rovers had previo
South Midlands Floodlit Cup Semi-Final
Eynesbury Rovers 4 Royston Town 1
A BARNSTORMING performance saw Eynesbury Rovers book their place in the final of the competition.
Although the Crows play at a higher level in the football pyramid, Rovers had previously dispatched two South Midlands League Premier Division sides in the cup and wasted no time making it three at Hall Road.
The match was wrapped up by half time as Eynesbury held a 3-0 lead. Although Royston pulled a goal back early in the second half they failed to seriously threaten the Rovers defence and a goal eight minutes from time by Barry Albone confirmed Rovers' passage to the final.
After Graham Tibbals headed wide of goal and Brad Poole rolled the ball narrowly wide for the visitors, Craig Smith came close to putting the hosts ahead but his low drive was tipped behind for a corner by the goalkeeper.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 7 places where you can tuck into a carvery in Cambridgeshire
- 3 New mayor of Huntingdon unveiled at annual town council meeting
- 4 Fresh wave of Camp Beagle protests as vans arrive at Wyton complex
- 5 Suspected sleeping driver with child on board stopped on A1(M)
- 6 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 7 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
- 8 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 9 Met Office forecast for Cambridgeshire after weekend of mixed weather
- 10 Exclusive look at photograph taken at RAF Warboys from IWM's new The Royal Family in Wartime book
In the 20th minute Eynesbury took the lead when Barry Albone side-footed home Craig Smith's cross from close range. Just five minutes later Rovers doubled their advantage as James Dove pounced on a loose ball after Matt Cookson had failed to hold a David Fisk shot.
Scott Kingsbury came close to scoring as his shot from a tight angle narrowly cleared the cross bar. Six minutes before the break Craig Smith scored direct from a free kick taken near the corner flag to put the hosts 3-0 ahead.
Royston came close to pulling a goal back on the stroke of half time but Ben Houseago pulled off a fine save to deny Dave McMurrough. However, three minutes into the second half he was beaten by the striker as Royston pulled a goal back.
Six minutes later McMurrough came close to adding a second but his effort represented Royston's last goal attempt. Rovers secured victory as Albone claimed his second goal of the game with a diving header in the 82nd minute.
Ridgeons League Division One side Saffron Walden Town will be the opponents in the final for Rovers, with the match to be played at Walden next Wednesday, May 16.