NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Depleted Eynesbury defeated but chairman won’t take any further action against suspended players

Rhys Thorpe (right) scored a consolation goal for Eynesbury Rovers.

Rhys Thorpe (right) scored a consolation goal for Eynesbury Rovers. - Credit: Archant

Depleted Eynesbury slipped to a third successive United Counties League Premier Division defeat last Saturday.

Rovers crashed 4-2 to Leicester Nirvana at Hall Road when without all four of the players – Dan Draper, Matt Clifford, Curtis Hartley and Rob Ducket – who were dismissed in a 3-0 defeat at Pinchbeck the previous weekend.

Chairman Matt Plumb completed an investigation into the events of that game and has decided not to impose any internal fines or bans on those involved.

“I’ve got to the bottom of what happened on the day and I’ve spoken to everyone who was there,” said Plumb. “The club has been fined an extra £165 on top of the outstanding fines for misconduct, and the squad has paid the fine between them.

“But at the end of the day, we won’t start throwing out extra bans and fines with the squad depth that we have at the moment. Our discipline hasn’t been bad this year and this was a complete one off, and I’m certain that nothing like this will ever happen again.”

Tariq Wilson struck twice in the opening half an hour for Nirvarna, before Jordan Smith extended the visitors’ lead shortly after half-time with a strike from the edge of the area.

Steve Gentle gave Rovers a lifeline as he swept the ball home from a Jack Warwick free-kick, but Conor Brown-Wingfield restored Nirvana’s three goal advantage from the penalty spot after Callum Milne was adjudged to have handled the ball.

Most Read

Brown-Wingfield was then dismissed for the away side for striking out at an Eynesbury player before Rhys Thorpe headed home from the resulting free-kick to complete the scoring.

Manager Mark Ducket was again absent due to work commitments abroad. He will be back in the dugout when Rovers go to Oadby this Saturday.